Sunday, August 4, 2019

Audible





First, if you don't know about me, you should know I work for a wonderful company. It's a family company that specializes in soap, cheese, and sweets. I make fresh goat cheese for a living.
Now you're wondering what on earth that has to do with Audible books. *Don't worry, I'll get there soon.
If it wasn't for my relaxed work environment I might not be able to put my headphones in and glide through two or three books a week.
Let's just say I love Audible.
That aside the point of this post isn't to promote Audible itself, but this amazing movement. IMHO every publishing company and indie author should consider having an audio selection of books. Digital books are turning the book publishing industry over in a revolutionary way that Kindle did only a few years ago.
It's not that we haven't had books on CD (I'll admit I still use CDs in my car all the time) for a while now, but it's the digital portability of music, books, movies and podcasts etc., we lacked.
Audible is revolutionizing this new age of publishing.
Now if you're not familiar with Audible, it's through Amazon, you pay for a subscription and receive credits each month that you can use for a free Audible book. They also have a selection of materials free for Audible users such as The Wall Street Journal Digest, The New  York Times Digest, Free Audible originals etc.
They are not alone in this digital project, many great libraries have a generous selection of the book online and in digital audio format.
My work schedule allows me to work independently and often alone, which is why I've gone through so many books. But the main point is Audio books have freed up anyone to read and broadened the ideas about where we use the technology, expanding the world of fitness, health-mind and body that is one of the greatest accomplishments.
The more we read, the more we know and open our minds. So that even this cheese maker who does a little writing on the side can read to her heart's content.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Awesome! And don't forget about sites such as Librivox, where you can get audio versions of public domain books for free, including many of the classics!